Kókkini Porta Rossa

SΤ. JOHN the Baptist (our chapel) [12]

ON OUR MAP:   12 


HOURS:   08:00 - 21:00, all days. 


Opposite our hotel's entrance


Built in 1450 next to the castle wall, the Church was dedicated to the patron of the Knights of St. John.
It was part of a knightly residence which once stood here. 
The nearby Gate was named after St. John. It is also known as “Kókkini Porta” (Red Gate), in memory of those who died defending it.

Although the knight's residence was torn down to free space for the wall to be reinforced, the church was left untouched. Unfortunately, the 1522 siege started before the wall was strenghtened.

Bombing during both sieges, and the occupation of Rhodes by the Ottomans had their toll on the building and its fresco hagiographies. It was soon converted into a mosque and the frescos were destroyed.

An Agha (Ottoman honorific title) used the stones and location of the residence for his mansion. He brought running water from a spring outside the castle and let it flow freely through a Roman sarcophagus in front of the house, making an invaluable gift to all his neighbors: Turks, Greeks and Jews! Rhodes was freed from the Ottomans in 1912.

The residence was given a third life in 2014: we refurbished it to become our Hotel.

After many years of neglect, the church was saved from collapsing under the weight of its 600 years. Extensive refurbishment works on the building and the remaining frescos were carried out. 

We are proud to be taking care of it and welcome those wishing to share its memories.